How to Purchase a Flag Flown Over U.S. Capitol Building
Because many people wish to obtain flags for commemorative, ceremonial, or personal use, Senators are pleased to be able to offer residents of their state the service of having a United States flag flown over the United States Capitol Building. These flags may be flown over the United States Capitol Building on any day of the year.
Enclosed with your flag will be a Certificate from The Architect Of The Capitol certifying that your flag was flown as requested.
You can order and purchase your flag by contacting the office of your State Senator.
- Go to http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
- Click on the link to your senator's office.
- Once at the Senator's web site, click on the Constituent Services link. When the page opens find and click the link to Flag Requests.
- There you will find prices as well as specific ordering instructions.
- If you have questions, you can send email. Please be sure to include the words "Flag Requests" in the subject line.
In order to efficiently process your request, please note the following general instructions.
- Before a flag can be flown over the Capitol, it must be purchased.
- Therefore your Senator must receive a check or money order for the complete cost of the flag made out to "The Keeper of the Stationery."
- In order to process the flag on the date requested, PLEASE SUBMIT REQUEST FORMS AND CHECKS 6-8 WEEKS IN ADVANCE.
- Send check or money orders with a completed flag request form.
- If you have questions regarding the purchase of a flag, please contact the Senator's office staff.
Note: Due to the processing of all mail coming into the United States Senate, there can be a delay of one week or more for all mail arriving at your Senator's office. Therefore, it is advisable for you to send your flag request at least six weeks in advance - preferably more - of your requested flying date. Due to the high volume of requests being processed, it can take up to six or more weeks to ship flags after they have been flown.