How to properly display the American flag as a casket cover
Steps to properly display the United States flag over a casket
The American Flag casket ceremony
- The United States flag is placed with the "field of stars" covering the head and over the left shoulder of the casket.
- Keep the flag in place during the burial ceremony.
- Do not let the flag touch the ground at any time.
- At the end of the ceremony remove the flag from the casket before lowering the casket into the ground.
- Properly fold the flag into a triangle with only stars showing.
- Do not lower the flag into the grave.
- Do not use the flag as a covering for a headstone, statue or monument.
- Properly store the folded flag in a display storage case.