Fourth of July Fun Facts
The Fourth of July is fast approaching, and celebration plans are underway to include patriotic decoration, fireworks, concerts, barbecues, parades and of course - Old Glory! Here are a few fun facts you may want to share at your celebration + our Independence Day Spotify playlist...
Six Fun Independence Day Facts
- Independence Day celebrates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence, not the signing of it. The initial signatures were made on July 2 and the remaining signatures were obtained on August 2.
- Independence Day was not observed as a Federal Holiday until 1870.
- Since Americans celebrate the Fourth of July with such excitement, other countries, such as Denmark, Sweden, and Portugal also celebrate our Independence Day to attract American tourists.
- According to Nathan’s Famous Hot Dogs, four Americans decided to settle a dispute over who was the most patriotic with a hot dog eating contest. Today, the Coney Island hot dog eating contest is one of the most well-known eating competitions.
- Calvin Coolidge is the only American President born on the Fourth of July. Every year, his hometown of Plymouth, Vermont holds a birthday celebration in his honor.
- The Liberty Bell hasn’t been truly rung since Washington's birthday in February of 1846. Since then, the bell is symbolically tapped thirteen times each year by decedents of the signers of the Declaration of Independence in order to keep from worsening the crack in the bell.
Of course, one of the best ways to celebrate the Fourth of July is by displaying Patriotic Decorations and proudly flying your American Flag. Get Independence Day ready by checking out Liberty Flags’ great selection of decorations and American-Made American Flags from hand-held to giant-sized.
Looking for Patriotic Music?
Check out our Independence Day Spotify playlist!
Share Your Celebration!
Send us your pictures of Independence Day decor, American flags, flagpoles, ropes, or other accessories! We would be honored to feature your photography in our blog or on Facebook. Remember, photos of damaged flags and accessories are valuable, too.
Was This Information Useful To You?
Do you have suggestions for information you'd like to see here? If so, please send them our way!
Please send all of your suggestions or questions to service@LibertyFlags.com. We want to hear from you!
Have a great day, from your friends at LIBERTY FLAGS, The American Wave®.