Flag Day is June 14
Share These Flag Day Facts!
Officially, Flag Day commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States by the Second Continental Congress. To help you celebrate, we have compiled these nine fun facts…
- By resolution of the Second Continental Congress, the flag of the United States (at the time, it was the American flag with 13 stars and 13 stripes) was adopted on June 14, 1777.
- June 14th is not only Flag Day, but also the official birthday of the United States Army, which was adopted two years before Flag Day in 1775.
- Legend has it that Theodore Roosevelt once beat a man with a wooden rod, thinking that the man had wiped his nose with an American flag. Moments into the beating, Roosevelt realized he was mistaken and gave the man one more whack for making him “riled with national pride.”
- The week of June 14 is also known as National Flag Week.
- In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation that established June 14 as Flag Day.
- In 1949, an Act of Congress officially established June 14 as National Flag Day (June 12 through 18, 2022).
- Despite these presidential and congressional efforts, Flag Day is not an official federal holiday.
- Though the United States Code includes paradigms for Flag Day, it is still at the President’s discretion to officially proclaim the observance each year.
- While Fairfield, Washington, holds the record for the longest continually running Flag Day Parade, Philadelphia tops that by observing Flag Day from the home of Betsy Ross.
Send us your pictures of Flag Day observations, American flags, flagpoles, ropes, or other accessories! We would be honored to feature your photography in our blog or on Facebook. Remember, photos of damaged flags and accessories are valuable, too.
Was This Information Useful To You?
Do you have suggestions for information you'd like to see here? If so, please send them our way!
Please send all of your suggestions or questions to service@LibertyFlags.com. We want to hear from you!
Have a great day, from your friends at LIBERTY FLAGS, The American Wave®.